Indicated resources are samples. Find a complete curated collection at Open Educational Resources and CDEV/ECE (Child Development and Early Childhood Education). Please note that the structure presented here aligns with the Child and Adolescent Development TMC; local Associate Degrees for Transfer will be different as the TMC introduces flexibility in the core and beyond.
Required Core Courses (3 courses)
Child Growth and Development (C-ID CDEV 100)
Child Growth and Development (Zaar) (CC BY-NC-SA)
Introductory Psychology (PSY 110)
- Psychology 2e (OpenStax) (CC BY)
- Discover Psychology 2.0: A Brief Introductory Text (Diener and Biswas-Diener) (CC-BY-NC-SA)
Introduction to Statistics (MATH 110) or Introduction to Statistics in Sociology (SOCI 125) or another CSU transferable statistics course that has been approved for CSU GE Area B4 and is articulated as major preparation for the Child Development major.
List A – Select 3 courses from the following:
No more than one of:
Introduction to Cultural Anthropology (ANTH 120)
Introduction to Sociology (SOCI 110)
- Introduction to Sociology 2e (OpenStax) ; Introduction to Sociology 2e (OpenStax) – LibreTexts (CC BY 4.0)
- Introduction to Sociology (Hammond and Cheney) – LibreTexts (CC BY)
Introduction to Race and Ethnicity (C-ID SOCI 150)
- Beyond Race: Cultural Influences on Human Social Life (Kennedy, 2018) (CC BY-NC-SA)
- Race and Ethnic Relations in the U.S.: An Intersectional Approach (2021) – LibreTexts (CC BY-NC-SA)
Child, Family, and Community (C-ID CDEV 110)
Child, Family, and Community (Laff and Ruiz) – Word, PDF, and ancillaries; Child, Family and Community (Laff and Ruiz) – LibreTexts (CC BY, except where otherwise noted)
Introduction to Marriage and Family (SOCI 130)
Introduction to Biology (Other Biology courses approved for CSU GE Area B2 may also be used to satisfy this requirement)
Concepts of Biology – OpenStax (CC BY)
Introduction to Lifespan Psychology (PSY 180)
A maximum of two courses not listed above that are articulated for lower division major preparation in the Child Development Major at a CSU.
This page last updated 12-1-21.