New – added August 26, 2022 – OER-Related Opportunities
ASCCC OERI Department of Finance Progress Report – February 1, 2022
The ASCCC IDEA Framework is intended to by a dynamic and ever-evolving resource. Access the IDEA Framework for more information.
The ASCCC OERI Student Impact Toolkit was developed by a team of OER Liaisons and is intended to facilitate the gathering and sharing of student perspectives related to both OER and ZTC. Access OERI Student Impact Toolkit: Measuring Student Impact and Capturing Student Voices in OER/ZTC to learn more.
California Community Colleges Open Educational Resources
OER Collections for the California Community Colleges, organized by discipline, CSU general education requirements, Transfer Model Curricula, and C-ID.
- OER by Discipline
- OER by California State University General Education
- OER by Transfer Model Curriculum
- OER by C-ID – “C-ID” refers to the Course Identification Numbering System that establishes articulation among the California Community Colleges.
OER and ZTC
Access the OER and ZTC page to find all the latest information about Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) degrees and related textbook affordability requirements. In addition to state-specific requirements related to textbook affordability, there is a federal requirement that course material costs be made available to students at the time of registration. In other words, in addition to “marking” no-cost sections, students should be provided with information regarding text costs at the time of registration. Typically, a link to the bookstore’s text information is found in the schedule – ideally ensuring that both the costs of commercial texts and access to free digital resources (and low-cost print options) is available to students. See samples of textbook information in course schedules.
COVID-19 Faculty Resources – A list of resources compiled by ASCCC
OERI Resources in Canvas Commons – Course resources available for download in Canvas Commons
Canvas Video Resources
CVC-OEI Remote Instruction and Services Resources
TechConnect Zoom (CCC Confer/Confer Zoom) – Resources and specific updates on how each of the services (CCC Confer/Confer Zoom and 3C Media Solutions) provided by CCC TechConnect can assist you.
ASCCC OER Quick Guides
ASCCC OER Quick Guides offers a collection of openly licensed resources directly – and indirectly – related to OER advocacy, adoption, and development. If you have a resource you’d like us to share – or a resource you’d like us to develop – please let us know. For most topics, we’ve provided an accessible webpage (or two) and a PDF designed for printing.
Open Educational Resources
“Open Educational Resources” houses a collection of OER resources organized by what they have to offer and/or what they allow you to do.
The ASCCC OERI encourages local senates to adopt resolutions supporting the use of OER. The ASCCC has adopted a number of resolutions about OER specifically and others related to reducing costs for students more generally. Local senates have adopted numerous resolutions that you can consider as you prepare to do the same at your college. Please let us know if you have a resolution that should be included in our collection.
ASCCC Resolutions – OERI, ZTC, and Course Materials More Generally – As of April 20, 2022.
OER and Savings
When considering the impact of OER, we can focus on:
- student impressions – as is the focus of the OERI Student Impact Toolkit: Measuring Student Impact and Capturing Student Voices in OER/ZTC,
- we can focus on student success (“OER and Success” showcases OER-related data), and
- we can calculate student cost-savings. Determining dollars saved can be a key to advocacy efforts as you make the case for investing in OER by calculating the return on that investment. SPARC’s 2018 A New Method for Estimating OER Savings suggests one approach to this calculation. Given that the true cost-savings could only be calculated by tracking what individual students would have spent if they had had to purchase a text, identifying an appropriate cost-savings per student is likely preferred over determining what the cost was for a replaced resource for each course and/or course section.
OER and Success
Is there evidence that OER increases student success? How do you gather data at the local level to demonstrate the effectiveness of OER? “OER and Success” showcases OER-related data and provides guidance for those seeking to gather such data at the local level. Please let us know if you know of a resource that should be included in our collection.
How do you advocate for OER at the local level – and how do you ensure that you, the advocate, are well informed? Access our collection of OER Advocacy resources for some suggestions.
OER and Students
How do you talk to students about OER – and how do you help students become OER advocates?
OER, Articulation, and Curriculum
If OER is to become part of your local culture, how do you address articulation concerns and integrate OER into the curriculum process? Access Articulation, Curriculum, and Open Educational Resources for answers and ideas.
OER development – whether authoring or creating – needs to begin with a clear understanding of accessibility, attributions, and licensing. Access information related to OER development in our OER developers section.
The “o” in OER is for open, not online, although OER is typically digital and available online. Why – and how – do you get your OER printed?
Legislation and Current Events
As in many states, California law now requires that the California Community Colleges and the California State University “mark” course sections that have no associated textbook costs. Read about SB 1359.
What is “inclusive access” and why are there concerns about it?
- Read more about “inclusive access” or “automatic billing”.
- InclusiveAccess.org: Get the facts about automatic textbook billing
This page last updated 9-16-22.