In Spring of 2019, the ASCCC OERI selected its first round of funded OER projects. This short-term opportunity provided California Community College faculty with an opportunity to obtain funding for an OER project that would serve faculty (and students) across the state. As this was our first round of funding, a lot was learned from the endeavor and the lessons learned informed our work moving forward. If you have any questions about any of the projects, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Your questions – and feedback – are more than welcome. If you’d like to be informed when updates are made, please self-enroll in our Canvas resource. You will need to use your existing Canvas account (from one of our colleges) to enroll. In early 2020, a second group of projects was identified for funding. The products from these projects were due to be completed in December of 2020. As all products are subject to review, resources are made available as they complete the review and revision process.
The information in these resources is intended solely for use by the user who accepts full responsibility for its use. Although the author(s) and the ASCCC OERI have made every effort to ensure that the information in this resource is accurate, openly licensed, and accessible at press time, the author(s) and the ASCCC OERI do not assume and hereby disclaim any liability to any party for any loss, damage, or disruption caused by errors or omissions, whether such errors or omissions result from negligence, accident, or any other cause.
Please bring direct any correspondence regarding these resources, including any errors and changes, to the attention of the Academic Senate of California Community Colleges OER Initiative via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Available OER for anthropology were showcased in a webinar in December of 2020. Access the OER and Anthropology webinar archive.
- C-ID ANTH 110 (Introduction to Biological Anthropology) – Test banks and lecture slide shows for the recently completed OER text “Explorations: An Open Invitation to Biological Anthropology.” Explorations Powerpoints (Google folder). Request access to the Explorations test bank.
- C-ID ANTH 120 (Introduction to Cultural Anthropology) – “Perspectives: An Open Invitation to Cultural Anthropology” (a 2nd edition of this OER text) and ancillaries for the new edition (Perspectives PowerPoints – downloadable ZIP file).
- C-ID ANTH 150 (Introduction to Archaeology) – A modular OER workbook. Addition of image attributions in progress (10-16-20).
- C-ID ARTH 100 (Understanding Art/Art Appreciation) – An OER text to cover world art on a timeline from prehistoric to modern times with an emphasis on female artists. A World Perspective of Art Appreciation (Gustlin and Gustlin) is available in LibreTexts.
- C-ID ARTH 110/ARTH 120 (Survey of Western Art) – Canvas shells populated with OER-text. Non-Western content to be integrated into courses. This project relies heavily on Smarthistory. Coming soon.
- C-ID ARTH 110 – Glossary for SUNY’s “Art History and Appreciation I” that was developed by Lumen Learning. This Art History glossary is available in Canvas Commons. If the provided link does not work, please search “ASCCC” in Canvas Commons to find all ASCCC OERI resources.
- C-ID BIOL 110 B (Human Anatomy with Lab) – OER Textbook which isolates anatomy components of OpenStax text and PowerPoint Lectures. Request access to anatomy PowerPoints.
- C-ID BIOL 155 (Botany/Plant Diversity and Ecology) – A lab manual for General Botany with Lab.
- C-ID BIOL 155 (Botany/Plant Diversity and Ecology) – A Comprehensive Open-Source Textbook and Photographic Atlas for Botany / Plant Diversity and Ecology
- A series of 12 original high-quality videos for digital biology and environmental science courses. A transcript and a set of multiple- choice questions accompanies each captioned OER video. Plug & Play Science: Engaging Lecture Vignettes For Flipped & Digital Biology and Environmental Science/Studies Courses.
- Printable version of “Human Biology” by CK12.org and populated Canvas shell with text, interactive quizzes, homework assignments, worksheets, and activities. Text includes increased representation of marginalized student groups. Human Biology text and general resources in Canvas Commons. Human Biology (Wakim & Grewal) in LibreTexts.
- OER Visual Aids and Artwork for General Biology – OER visual aids (each of which may contain multiple visual elements) that are customizable for different levels of biology (introductory or majors) for important, commonly taught biology concepts. Images are available in Flickr.
- OpenStax Microbiology Ancillaries including quizzes and activities. Request Access to OpenStax Microbiology Ancillaries.
C-ID BUS 140, C-ID ITIS 120 (Business Information Systems, Computer Information Systems) – Information Systems for Business Textbook
C-ID CHEM 110/120 (General Chemistry for Science Majors) – Ancillaries for General Chemistry courses. The video mini lessons are available at 3C Media Solutions.
Approximately 55 short videos (approximately 2-5 minutes each) where each of the foundational cooking methods or principles typically covered in a theory class are demonstrated. Foundational Cooking Methods (mp4); Foundational Cooking Methods with Michael Frigm on YouTube.
Early Childhood Education
- C-ID ECE 200 (Observation and Assessment) – Creation of an OER text, in Spanish. Observando y Asesorando en Ambientes Educativos is available in Pressbooks.
- C-ID CDEV 100, CDEV 110, ECE 120, ECE 130, ECE 200, ECE 210, ECE 220, ECE 230 – OER Student Performance Assessments and Rubrics for Child Development and Early Childhood Education Courses. Request access to CDEV/ECE resources.
C-D ECON 201 (Principles of Microeconomics); C-ID ECON 202 (Principles of Macroeconomics) – Development of Canvas modules to augment and update existing OER texts. This resource for economics is available in Canvas Commons.
- C-ID ENGL 100 (College Composition) – Writing, Reading, and College Success: A First-Year Composition Course for All Learners (Kashyap and Dyquisto) can be found in LibreTexts. This OER is a revision of “Writing for Success” that includes instructional scaffolding for students who require additional support. New sections on college readiness and success, reading skills, the reading-writing connection, grammar, and an ESL compendium have been added.
- C-ID ENGL 105 (Argumentative Writing and Critical Thinking) – OER text with emphasis on contemporary issues of social justice, race, gender, and inclusion. Audio versions of each chapter of the textbook are embedded in the text. How Arguments Work: A Guide to Writing and Analyzing Texts in College (Mills) is available in LibreTexts. Overview and Access Directions for How Arguments Work Ancillaries.
- C-ID ENGL 110 – A culturally responsive OER text incorporating primary literary sources and explanatory materials that would also include ancillary materials such as assignments and essay prompts. Writing and Critical Thinking Through Literature (Ringo and Kashyap) is available in LibreTexts.
English as a Second Language
Advanced Community College ESL Composition: An Integrated Skills Approach is available in Pressbooks or as a PDF for printing – This text is a transformation of Successful College Composition an OER text originally published in 2015 and intended for use in a course that is one level below English composition.
C-ID ENVS 100 (Introduction to Environmental Science) – A Comprehensive Open-Source Textbook for Intro to Environmental Science
C-ID GEOG 111 (Physical Geography Laboratory) – Manual for Physical Geography, Lab Course – Various Formats; Manual for Physical Geography, Lab Course in Canvas Commons. Search: PHYS-GEOG-LAB. The associated author is Ray Waverly.
C-ID GEOL 100L (Physical Geology Laboratory) – Geoscience Equity Opportunities for Students: Making the Earth Accessible through an OER Physical Geology Lab Manual. GEOS – A Physical Geology Lab Manual for California Community Colleges (PDF); GEOS – A Physical Geology Lab Manual for California Community Colleges (Word files)
C-ID HIST 130/140 (American History) – The American Yawp – Ancillaries in Canvas. Request access to American Yawp resources.
Italian-language ancillaries in the form of vocabulary, grammar, and culture activities. OER Italian 101 (First Semester Open Educational Resources 2.0) is available in Canvas Commons. If the provided link does not work, please search “ASCCC” in Canvas Commons to find all ASCCC OERI resources.
OER Textbook and Canvas Course Shell for Information Literacy Courses – Introduction to College Research – Pressbooks; Information Literacy Ancillary Resources in Canvas Commons
- An openly licensed text for intermediate algebra – Intermediate Algebra for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics – While accessibility issues still need to be addressed, this resource is available for faculty consideration.
- C-ID MATH 110 (Introduction to Statistics) – Statistics for Social Justice Studies – Canvas Commons
- C-ID MATH 110 – Accessible Tables – Under Development (January 2021)
- C-ID MATH 150 (College Algebra for Liberal Arts) – Support course for college algebra with online textbook links, lecture videos, and online homework collection. Coming soon.
- C-ID MATH 140 (Business Calculus) Co-requisite workbook for remediation of 10 primary algebra skills. 33 closed-captioned Learning Glass videos on algebra and calculus concepts. Coming soon.
C-D BUS 125 (Business Law) – An OER text-equivalent for Business Law/Organizations, Introduction to Law, and Legal Ethics. Accessibility and attributions still need to be addressed.
C-ID PHYS 105, 110, 205, 210, and 215 – Online Question Banks and Course Templates for OpenStax CCC Lower-Division Physics Courses. Find access information at the bottom of the OERI’s OER and Physics page.
- C-ID POLS 160 (Introduction to Political Science Research Methods) – Ten-chapter OER text – Introduction to Political Science Research Methods (Word); Introduction to Political Science Research Methods (PDF); Introduction to Political Science Research Methods PowerPoint Slides (ZIP file). All resources associated with the Introduction to Political Science Research Methods text can be found on its website.
- C-ID POLS 140 (Introduction to International Relations) – Create OER text and ancillary materials. Resource consists of discrete modules in OER Commons.
C-ID SOCI 110 (Introduction to Sociology) – Revise/Update Introduction to Sociology OER text originally developed by Ron Hammond and Paul Cheney of Utah Valley University in 2010. This sociology text is available in Canvas Commons. If the provided link does not work, please search “ASCCC” in Canvas Commons to find all ASCCC OERI resources.
- C-ID SPAN 100 and SPAN 110 (Elementary Spanish I and II) – OER Ancillaries in the form of LibreTexts and H5P
- C-ID SPAN 200 (Intermediate Spanish I) and 210 (Intermediate Spanish II) – Intermediate/Advanced Spanish Manual (Entrada Libre) is available in LibreTexts. Entrada libre is an intermediate/advanced college-level Spanish OER grammar manual for second language learners and heritage speakers of Spanish at the community college level.
“X” associated with a C-ID designation indicates a course not designed for transfer.
This page last updated August 26, 2021.